Established by James Huey, Masterbrewer in 2014 to bring uniquely flavoured craft beers to the market
Located in iconic premises in Derry-Londonderry's exciting new cultural quarter, Ebrington Square, housing a craft brewery-taproom and restaurant
Beers crafted in an authentic fashion using local quality ingredients, with the brewery filling the market niche for unique, flavourful beers and food.
NWRC were initially approached to help open and develop the business in late 2014, and the relationship has blossomed to a strong partnership that has progressed to the R&D of a new flavour of craft beer
Initially the company lacked technical skills and knowledge of how to:
develop a food menu to complement their innovative craft beers
specify the kitchen facilities required to deliver their new food offering
develop procedures to deliver a high-quality food offering
- Hot-desk incubation facility provided
- Development of a beer and food menu with beer and food matching, offering a unique customer experience
- Specialist food consultant, Brian McDermott, provided benchmarking ideas to develop a food menu suited to the Brewery’s needs
- Client up-skilling in menu development, food sourcing and recipe standardisation
- Kitchen planning, equipment specification, installation of a bespoke kitchen
- Student chef placement (now full-time employee of the company)
- Level 2 Customer service training (75% funded through Skills Focus)
- R&D, funded by Invest NI Innovation Voucher programme - researched a new type of beer, based upon a medicinal broth recipe from 400 years ago and produced prototype products utilising the Brewery’s micro-brewery
The business is now thriving, employment growing from 12 - 17 staff.
Awards include the Northern Ireland Tourism most promising new business 2016 and the Hot Press best gastropub of 2016.
James Huey, owner of the Walled City Brewery said:
"Right from our first discussions, we have been mightily impressed with the professionalism on offer at North West Regional College. The expertise available … has not only enabled us to prepare for launch, but to consider product development and investment potential which can help us grow”.